Power failure is one of the serious hurdles in personal and professional works. And we never want to stop our work because of any hurdle. It is a need of time to have a generator for electricity cut off. But, what type of generator you should prefer for your office or for any other place. A portable generator or stationary generator, which is better to fulfill your requirements.
In this article, we have compared all the possible facts that help you to select a generator. Starting with portable generator type, let’s have a look-
Portable generators are basically using in residential applications. It provides energy for lighting, specific appliances such as refrigerators, air-conditioners, and necessary medical equipment, And also used to supply power to home appliances in the event of a power outage.
However, portable generators are the best generator for outage power sources and designed for manually operated and it is the small in size with respect to another generator and has wheels or handles fitted on them so they can easily carry from one place to another place. In the portable generators, multiple fuel options are available like natural gas, diesel, propane, etc. with respect to different makes and models of generators.
There are usually functional for a run time of fewer than 12 hours and provide a power output 500W and 17.5 kW. we are using generators at construction sites, farms, recreation vehicles, motor homes, and camping trips.
Features of Portable Generators:-
- Electric Start-To the conventional pull-starting mechanism, several portable generators provide a push-button option. This function is including in the price to find out the battery is a need or not.
- Alternative Fuel-There are some models that are designed to run on natural gas or a propane gas tank. Most portable generators use only gasoline for generating power. However, some using special kits can be converted.
- Wheels-That some portable generators will require you to buy the wheel separately. Wheel costs as high as 150 dollars. Moving a wheeled generator alone is possible but without wheels, it is not possible.
- Fuel Check-A fuel check allows you to check fuel level easily which is individually useful when extensive energy blackouts.
- Low-oil Shutoff-In generators oil falls below a particular level of safety then a generator shuts down automatically. A good number of portable generators features of this handy feature.
- Inverter Technology-High-end portable generators produce more accurate output power that can be used by even the most sensitive apparatuses. Such generators are appropriating for camping since they typically operate much more silently.
- Multiple Outlets-They spread the load because four or even more allow you to best utilize the wattage. However, during only outdoor camping expeditions and emergencies you should use all the outlets.
- Removable Console-Without using the potential risk extension cords, they allow you to directly plug apparatuses into your portable generator.
Benefits of Portable Generators:-
There are different types of benefits of portable generators:-
Efficient Power Backup-firstly, they are excellent power backup providers. There are oftentimes cases when you will need that extra power to save a file, complete a task, or for powering up any apparatuses. A number of things you can do with a generator in almost limitless, you have at home and the power of your portable generator only bound to the number of digital devices.
Interchangeable and Adjustable-Whatever performs portable generators so fascinating is its portability. You can bring it to different areas around the house without it being stuck in one place only. This flexibility is a feature that has more improved usability as it can be operated as places where the appliances cannot be moved immediately.
Outdoor companion-If you an adventurer who tends to go on outdoor or camping tips every now and then, backing up with an emergency power supply can cross your mind. It would have been possible if portable generators were not here but this is not the case. There are other cases where generators play an important role in providing electricity such as construction sites where there are limitations in power supply. It is a great asset that helps to complete the work safely, properly and efficiently.
Easy to Use-Using portable generators is that they are relatively easy to use. Their operation is simple and will only require a bit of reading from the manual use to properly. The fuel is used also easy to find as well. Greatest portable generators operate on propane, but there are tri-fuel types that can use gasoline, propane, and, natural gas for a more manageable range of options.
May save you in a pinch-There are also instances where portable generators help out in some emergencies where power is instantly required. In places where there are natural calamities, having emergency power readily available can help power up radios for warning or as backup power of prolonged periods of power outages.
That’s all in portable generator now let’s move on stationary generator-
Here, we discussing the Stationary Generators that what are Stationary Generators and how to work? Why we should use it and how? Stationary Generators are also known as the “whole house generator” which is the best power source for home electricity. Stationary Generators are designed for the switch on automatically when they sense a fall in power. It is power-producing matching your own personal electrical power source.
Stationary generators will kick on to the power your home electrical circuits automatically within seconds of a blackout. When the power goes out, then you do not need to be home and the transfer of power is nearly seamless. However, Stationary generators are not cheap and it is not an easy decision whether you should not buy one or not. So, here I will provide some details about the stationary generators, then you can easily decide it is right or not for your home and family.
Features of Stationary Generators:-
- Power Management- A stationary generator can supply a fair amount of power for a home since several major appliances do need to run all time or don’t have to run during a power outage. Usually, it is necessary to buy and install a generator that can supply enough power to run all appliances 24/7.
- Fuel Considerations- An important factor is the continuous power rating and how to relates its fuel. Generators that can operate on either LPG gas or Natural gas are often less efficient while operating on natural gas.
- Transfer Switch Options- The automatic transfer switch is a key component of any stationary generators systems. Stationary generators connect to homes via an automatic transfer switch, which automatically selects between utility power for normal operation or generators power during an outage.
- Locations: Determine the best location for your generator before you buy it. Some models are better suited to small yards and install closer to the home or take up less space. Locate Stationary generators away from windows, doors, and vents. Otherwise, considerations include the prevailing wind and your neighbors home.
Benefits of Stationary Generators:-
There are different types of benefits when using stationary generators:-
- The continued flow of power is of particular importance for people who depended on powered, home medical equipment.
- Entire switching between systems means it is worry-free. It involves no fumbling around in the dark looking for gas and trying to get the portable generator going. And portable generators must also be pulled out, and long extension cords must be run indoors as the carbon monoxide is switched off by the motor.
- Who needs to stay connected dependable electrical power can be critical for people working from home.
- A regular power source ensures food does not spoil in refrigerators or freezes.
- Having power during outage means you may continue to use any of the electric appliances to prepare meals.
- If you install a stationary generator then you can able to get a discount on your homeowner’s insurance.
- This is potentially lethal since it can starts fires, the transfer switch acts as a surge defender and checks back-feeding electricity.
That’s all in a stationary generator.
Let’s have a quick comparison between portable and stationary generators
Portable vs Stationary Generators
Here are some basic differences between portable and stationary generators.
- A stationary generator permanently installed outside the home while a portable generator can be moved from one place to another place.
- A stationary generator runs on propane gas or natural gas and hooks up to the existing gas lines. With gasoline, every few hours a portable generator must be filled. During the outage as many as gas stations will not be able to pump gas, gasoline needs to be stored to the last through the outage (approximately 70 gallons of gasoline would be needed for a five-day outage.) In addition, Especially if running continuously the oil must be frequently changed.
- A stationary generator is fully closed while a portable generator has exposed the engine parts, which are often very hot?
- A portable generator must be manually started and stopped- meaning the however must be home during a power outage. When the power shuts off then stationary generator turns on automatically. If power is lost, a transfer switch constantly monitors utility power and transfer the electrical load to the generator, protecting the home even if the homeowner is away.
- If you are using a portable generator, appliances require to be plugged into the unit using extension cords. The extension cords must be related to the electrical and distance then run to the portable generator outdoors. Due to carbon monoxide risks, a portable generator must never be run indoors. Any item that is hardwired to the home, like a security system, heating/cooling system, etc. by a portable generator can not be powered. A stationary generator can power critical and sophisticated appliances and systems in your home, including light, refrigerators, sump-pumps, heating/cooling systems, home security systems and so on.
- Which can damage and degrade sensitive electronics then some portable generators provide lower-grade power quality. A stationary generator delivers clean, consistent power, which is important for sophisticated electronics such as big-screen TVs, computers, etc.
- The portable generator must be operated by the homeowner under the duress of an unexpected outage. Being overlooked this lead to the required safety precautions.
Comparison Between Portable And Stationary Generators
|Portable Generators||Stationary Generators|
|Cost||Price between $4oo to $1,000||Price between $3000 to $10,000|
|Fuel||Runs of the tank of diesel, propane or gasoline. During an extended power, interruption requires manual refueling.||As it runs off liquid propane line or your home natural gas and no required refueling.|
|Maintenance||To readiness and long-life, regular manual maintenance interval required.||Remote system monitoring and automatic maintenance.|
|Start-Up||When the power goes out then it must be switched on manually.||When the power goes out then it automatically switches.|
Some Safety Tips When it Comes To a Power Outage
There are following some safety tips when it comes to a power outage-
- Review your weather emergency plan (that is number to call, key contacts, meeting places, etc.). And also grab a backup or purchase a large plastic bucket with a lid from a local hardware store or home center. Stuff the backup or bucket with three days worth of food and water. Other items should include a battery-powered/hand-cracked radio, flashlight, money, medications, first-aid kit, and a CD or USB Drive containing important documents. It stores a kit in a place that is easily accessible in an emergency situation.
- Turn off major appliances like water heaters, air conditioning units, and stoves. Unplug another appliance like TVs, microwaves, computers, and stereos. When power is stored if this will prevent damage to appliances and possible overloads to the system.
- Along with extra batteries, have a battery-operated or weather radio, multiple flashlights, and a battery-operated clock and fan.
- When power is restored if leave one light on so you will be able to see.
- Flooded areas and debris stay away from fallen wires. Treat all down wires and anything touch them as though they have electricity running by it.
- Directly to the electrical system of your home do not connect portable generators. Into the endanger lives and power lines electricity could flow backward. Using the proper-sized and rated extension cords, Directly into the generator either have an experienced electrician perform the work or plug appliances.
- If you find out or doubtful any damage, call your local utility provider. Observe the area around your electricity meter.
- With your main electrical panel familiarize yourself. You can have to turn off the main breaker or have to reset circuit breakers after an outage.
- If you are running a portable generator, make sure to use properly rated extension cords (electrical lode and length). Ensure whether your portable generator properly modifies to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning. Consider installing a permanent stationary generator system for your home for the next storm to automatically supply power safety and worry-free for your family.
What size generator is compulsory to power your home?
To determine what size generator you require, communicate a local power professional(dealer), or authorized electrical contractor close with stationary generators. Before you meet with a contractor, you may want to get some estimates from an online sizing tool like the calculator found here.
Stationary generator range from 8 to 125 kilowatts. It is important to select a stationary generator that meets your needs and lifestyle. If you just want to power some key appliances in a spacious home or everything in a smaller home, an 8 to the 20-kilowatt generator may serve you well. If you have a large home and need to put everything powered-up, a more extensive generator will be needed.
However, A licensed power professional is essential to determine the right size generator for your home. They will also help you to follow the municipal codes governing the proper installation, including:
- Noise ordinances (basically under 70 dBA)
- The positioning of the generator (flood risks)
- Electrical Codes
Which is the Best Generator Portable and Stationary?
A stationary generator is the best generator for both generators. Because these are workable even in every weather condition. It is a reliable option for your home and it quickly starts and automatically when it detects a power outage in your home. These generators easily move from one place to another place in your home. It also used digital power management technology to protect against overloading. You can easily monitor your generator remotely from your mobile phone, tablet or computer. It provides less power than a stationary generator. You can not move this generator from one place to another place.
Here you can understand the difference between a portable generator and a stationary generator and how both generators work. This article will definitely help you to make a choice between portable and stationary generators.
If you have any queries regarding the topic, reach us through the comment box.