In today’s generation, electricity is one essential need for all of us to maintain our luxurious life. But the electricity breaks down is always a major concern for all of us. So having a portable generator is the best solution to getting an uninterrupted power supply. But along with having a portable DG Set, its security is a big challenge for all of us. Now in this blog, we share the information on how to build a generator enclosure to increase the shelf life of Genset.
To protect your DG set against bad weather, wildlife, and theft you can buy an enclosure for a portable generator. Also, you can make a baffle box by yourself to increase the shelf life of diesel generators.
When you thinking of the construction of a portable generator shed, you are investing your money & time. So this is very important to make a strong & long-lasting outdoor enclosure for generator. Apart from that, making a generator enclosure from steel or wood is totally depends upon the requirement of the generator or the user. Such as enclosure for home or industrial generator.
Here we are telling the standard procedure of how to build a portable generator enclosure. Also, the list of equipment you need to make it.
List of tools you need to build a DG Set enclosure
Tools which are needed to design a Genset enclosure.
- Hammer to drive & pull.
- Measuring tape to measure length & width.
- Framing square to framing & finding the straight edge & right angles of the cut off tools.
- The level bar for establishing a horizontal plane for wood or metallic frame.
- Milter saw to make a quick, accurate, workpiece at a selected angle.
- Drill machine to cut holes in metal & wood.
- Screwdriver for screwing & unscrewing.
- Sandpaper for the smoothening of the surface.
- Safety gloves, eyeglasses for the protection during the operation.
Before work on the designing part of an enclosure, you need a few important things. Here list of the required material.
- Lumber in different sizes & shapes.
- Plywood beam according to the size of the enclosure.
- Screws & nails in different sizes.
- Wood glue & wood filler.
So these are a list of the things you need to design a portable enclosure for commercial or home generator. Also, you need to make a clean image in your mind before implementing the design. Apart from that, you need to make proper space for exhaust, cooling fan, temperature monitoring system, vents, and other cooling features.
Steps to build the D.I.Y. enclosure
For making the best in class DIY portable generator enclosure you follow further steps. Also, allowing the space where you want to install a power generator. So here the standard procedure of making an enclosure.
Flooring and top wall
- Before you start to set up the generator enclosure, decide the spot where to build it. Also, it’s better to set up in a touch of dry ground or put up on a concrete pad.
- After that, 2 lumber of 2x6x8 and more 2 of 1x6x4 has been set up like the way it makes a rectangle. Fix one beam at the center measured as the same width of the frame.
- Later than screw down the frame with the ply of 4×8.
- The top wall is also made up in the same way as the floor frame is built up.
Built the side and back walls, and front door
- Make the sidewall frame the same way the top and floor frame is put up. Jut keep in mind to cut out the circle of diameter for installation of exhaust fan from one of the sidewall panels.
- For ventilation, the back wall must be built slightly smaller than the other wall as the aluminum sheet will be attached.
- As the generator will be set up outside the house. Thus, the front door must be made in such a way that it protects the generator from stealing I .e.lock door must be there.
- So Step Hinge will be attached to the door for the free opening of it and lock hardware is also put up over it to make a lock on it.
Assemble the panels
- After all the side and back walls, front door, top panels are built separately. Now assemble it up on the floor frame with screw and nails over dry ground or concrete pad.
- For permanency, fix all the corners and joints with waterproof glues and for more perfectness use wood filler.
This process takes one day to complete and built a portable generator enclosure. Also, the above instruction given will vary from enclosure design & size. But before building you should keep some important notes in mind on which you must decide which enclosure is fit on size & surrounding area.
Things to remember before building a portable generator enclosure
Before making a portable generator enclosure you need to consider a few important points. That will also beneficial to designing the best in the quality soundproof silent generator shed.
Here the list of important point you need to consider,
- Measure the generator before starting to build the generator enclosure. So that it becomes easy for you to determine the perfect enclosure for your generator.
- While designing the enclosure keep in mind that there must be proper airflow so that the box doesn’t get heat up and ultimately harm your generator.
- Fit a large enough exhaust fan on one side of the enclosure while constructing so that it cools down the generator.
- The rooftop of the enclosure must build little eave portion as it helps to resist the water to store over it.
- To avoid your generator being stolen, you may build it like that way with hole protection by locking it from the door.
- Anyway, build it a way that will have longevity, durability, and will be affordable to you.
Benefits of having a portable generator enclosure
If you are using a power backup in an open area or want to save it from theft, bad weather or vandalism, then buying an enclosure is the best solution. Also, this product is available with many more features & advantages.
The best alternative option
The best about the DG set enclosure at the time of buying or making, the flexibility with alternative options. This Gentent is available in various sizes & designs with non-restrictive features. Also, this enclosure is attached to the generator itself and there is no kind of contact with the floor.
This canopy also makes you sure to roll your DG Set from one place to another. Also, the all sensitive part of power backup is safe inside the Canopy. It increases the using duration of power backup and protects from despite storm & snowfall.
They also allow unrestricted airflow and air drift during the operation. So the chance of generator overheating is also very low.
The soundproof canopy designs over 1000 distinct generators. That is used to cover power backup in a proper manner. Also, the availability of Gentent in both metal & wood design offers you to choose the best canopy according to the needs.
This client compatibility feature makes them more famous for commercial or industrial needs. Also, the feature of soundproofing offering the best power backup experience with peace of mind.
So to avoid getting your generator damage build a shed enclosure for DG Set. Also, put your DG Set inside of this enclosure to increase the shelf life of Genset. This portable generator enclosure protects your power backup against bad weather or heavy storm. It will also save your generator from thief & vandalism.
I hope this blog will clear you to understand how to build a portable generator enclosure. That is also perfect for your generator size. This full of information contain all the need to build an efficient DG Set enclosure with proper cooling & ventilation process.